Quick tips for dealing with defiant teensWritten by Sue Heimer
One of the toughest times in parenting is when your teen rebels. Here a few tips that might help:
- Reassess your rules. Then write out a contract with non-negotiable consequences, and have your teen sign it.
- Set aside a specific time each day to ensure your teen receives positive attention.
- Care for yourself, nurture your relationship with your spouse and stay united in your decisions concerning your adolescent.
- If necessary, find a Christian therapist or pastor who understands teens. If your child will not go, consider going yourself to deal with the anger, frustration and heartache that accompany parenting a rebellious teen.
- Realize that a teen's choices are just that: her choices. Continue to monitor, guide and dissuade with a spirit of love, not guilt.
- Pray for your child. Ask for God's mercy and protection on her. Pray for wisdom in your parenting practices.
- Tell your teen every day that you love her.
If you liked this article and would like to go deeper, we have some helpful resources below.Our recommended resources
Free advice on marriage, parenting and Christian living delivered straight to your inbox