30 random acts of kindness – that you’ll enjoy doing!Written by Focus on the Family Canada
Guaranteed "win-win-win" situations are hard to come by. But here’s one that needs only a few minutes to reap some rewards: Giving!
Choose a few (or all) of these 30 acts of kindness to put a smile on someone's face today!
Win #1: The recipients clearly benefit.
Win #2: The givers do, too! According to Jesus, "'It is more blessed to give than to receive’" (Acts 20:35), and not just because God will repay you for your generosity (Luke 6:38).
Win #3: Giving pleases God (Hebrews 13:16).
If you want your "win-win-win" but are strapped for gift ideas, think outside the box and bows. "If someone has the gift of speaking words of comfort and help, he should speak. If someone has the gift of sharing what he has, he should give from a willing heart. If someone has the gift of leading other people, he should lead them. If someone has the gift of showing kindness to others, he should be happy as he does it" (Romans 12:8 NLV).
To start spreading love to your family, friends or people around you, check out this list packed with fun and practical random acts of kindness for families to give of their time, treasure and talent:
- Smile at strangers – but not creepily.
- Donate blood to help others heal.
- Leave a thank-you note for your garbage collector or mail carrier.
- Donate financially (and anonymously!) to someone in need.
- Volunteer at a local animal shelter, even if it’s cleaning cages rather than cuddling kittens.
- Offer to watch a frazzled friend’s kids for a few hours.
- Leave an encouraging note on a random car windshield in a parking lot.
- Donate gently worn clothes to a thrift store.
- Pay for the next person in line at the drive-thru.
- Rake leaves (or shovel snow) for a neighbour.
- Forgive someone you've been holding a grudge against.
- Compliment a stranger – be sincere, not suspicious!
- Give a faith-filled gift that’ll inspire long-lasting joy. Here are some great ideas!
- Buy a few Bibles at a bookstore or thrift store and deliver to families that need one.
- Give hope, trustworthy guidance and stability to Canadian families through a donation to Focus on the Family Canada.
- When people around you are gossiping about someone, say a kind comment instead.
- At the grocery store checkout, let the person behind you go first.
- Honour a loved one by giving a gift in honour or in memory of someone who’s passed.
- Offer to put someone’s shopping cart away for them at the store. Bonus points if it’s raining!
- Donate your talent. Are you a designer? Offer to design someone’s Christmas cards. A pianist? Play a set at a nursing home. Photographer? Give away a family photo shoot.
- Talk to the quiet person who seems lonely or out-of-place at a party or church service.
- Tape coins to a vending machine to treat the next thirsty or hungry person.
- Run an errand for someone who has difficulty getting out and about.
- Invite someone over for dinner – even better if it’s someone you've never invited over before!
- Organize a food drive at your work, school or church.
- Lift others up in prayer. For ideas of current needs, please email to join our prayer list.
- Write a thank-you note to your server at a restaurant.
- Straighten up shelves when you’re walking through the grocery aisle or the toy department.
- Find out how you can help adoptive families in your church or community – then help ‘em!
- Pay the bill for the young family dining in the booth next to you at a restaurant.
If you liked this article and would like to go deeper, we have some helpful resources below.Our recommended resources
Free advice on marriage, parenting and Christian living delivered straight to your inbox